Originally Posted by Anonymous
I know a lot of people don’t mind it but I can’t stand the transfer portal. One good season and then boom off to somewhere else. Three kids from St Peter’s leaving the school to go to a bigger college. This year could have changed that program and now it won’t. I get it. If the coach can do it why can’t the kids. I think it just stinks. Deion Sanders talked about it saying that high school kids who play football are gonna have a hard time getting recruited to power colleges with the transfers. I wonder how this is gonna impact girls lax. Usually a team is looking for 6-8 freshman. Recruiting was impacted with the 5th year the last two years and next year. But I have a feeling girls are gonna have a hard time making a top ranked school going forward unless they are truly the top of their field. Then it’s gonna trickle down to every school and every division.

Transferring should absolutely be permitted. No student or student athlete should have to stay at a school if they are not happy with the school/team/coach etc...

Transferring is nothing new, I was in school in the 80's and we had kids transfer in as well as transfer out for a variety of reasons (homesick, girlfriends, playing time, coach, academics, quality of team etc...)
One of my brothers played football at what is now a Power 5 conference program (Top 20 National Power major Bowel Games) and transferred out after two years (had to sit out a year).
The difference now is the extra year of eligibility, not sure that was the right call but it is definitely impacting players and the recruiting process. The extra year thing will run its course and things will be back to normal but it does stink for the HS kids going through the recruiting process as transfers especially 5th year transfers are surely taking roster spots.

IMHO, "regular transfers" are not a problem i.e. the kid that realizes they are not happy for whatever reason and wants a change isn't really an issue. However, when the four year starter and captain of a team hits the portal, they will 100% take the roster spot that could have gone to a HS recruit and they will most likely take a starting/regular spot from an existing player. I think in some cases it will disrupt team chemistry and moral.