IWLCA Players of the Week – May 31, 2022

The IWLCA has chosen four student-athletes for the IWLCA Player of the Week awards for the week ending May 29, 2022. This weekly award recognizes the best offensive and defensive performances by players in Division I and III during the postseason.

DIVISION I

Offensive Player of the Week

Sam Geiersbach – University of North Carolina

Geiersbach earned the NCAA Most Outstanding Player honor as the No. 1 Tar Heels defeated No. 3 Boston College for the NCAA Division I Championship. Geiersbach secured her spot on the NCAA All-Tournament Team after producing strong scoring performances in the semifinals and finals of the tournament. In the comeback win over No. 4 seed Northwestern, Geiersbach registered a game-high five goals and seven points to power UNC past Northwestern. She then posted a team-high three goals in the title match against BC. North Carolina claimed its third national title in program history and completed a perfect season, 22-0.

Defensive Player of the Week

Taylor Moreno – University of North Carolina

Moreno anchored the Tar Heel defense as she recorded the game-saving save with 28 seconds remaining in the comeback win over No. 4 seed Northwestern in the NCAA Division I Semifinals. She followed with 11 saves in the 12-11 NCAA title win over No. 3 Boston College. Moreno’s performance also earned her a spot on the NCAA All-Tournament Team. Moreno closed her career in goal with a 70-6 record and a .522 save percentage.

DIVISION III

Offensive Player of the Week

Jane Earley – Middlebury College

Earley showcased a stellar NCAA Tournament performance, ranking second in the tournament record books in goals scored (21) and points (26) over the five games. As the No. 2 Panthers claimed their program’s eighth National Championship, Earley tied a career-high mark with six goals (one assist) to lead all players with seven points in the 13-5 victory over No. 3 Tufts. Prior to her title game appearance, she registered a pair of goals and three assists in the semifinal’s matchup against No. 4 Gettysburg. Earley set Middlebury's single-season scoring record with 99 points and finished the season with a school-record 80 goals. The Panthers finished the season 22-1 overall.

Defensive Player of the Week

Erica Barr – Middlebury College

Barr was phenomenal in Saturday’s 18-5 NCAA DIII Semifinal victory over No. 4 Gettysburg. She tied the Panther’s single-game record with 12 draw controls, contributing to the team’s 20-6 advantage. In Sunday’s Championship win over No. 3 Tufts, Barr led all players with four groundballs, while winning four draw controls and causing a pair of turnovers. She finished the season second on Middlebury’s single-season list with 84 draw controls.