Originally Posted by Anonymous
How can someone say that CN is not the best player on Boston College, when she won the Tewaarton last year and is favored to win it again.

It’s opinion based on what people feel makes “the best player!” Seems many do not feel she is the best “all around “ player. I guess it depends on what criteria makes the best player ? I agree with some on here that say others are better team players and more deserving of the title. Just opinion

Some observations and comments on the anti-Charlotte North campaign. It is safe to say if any opposing coach knows the BC players and their impact on the offensive side of the field it is Syracuse's Coach Treanor. So who did she decide to face guard tonight, Charlotte North. Sorry, but that says it all to me. It takes your feelings out of it, your perception of how she behaves after a goal, or, how you consider her to be selfish and not a team player. Even being face guarded, she managed 3 goals and 3 assists. She also took every draw, which BC won more than they lost giving them more possession, albeit slight, but that makes the difference in a 2 goal game. She also entered the 400 point career club tonight, something only 4 other women have accomplished. By the way, any other player on BC ever get face guarded this season? Just by being face guarded, she makes her team better. It takes a great defender out of play and creates more space for the offense to operate. For the Belle Smith fan club, this is not a slight against her, I am a member of that fan club as well. She is a great player, one of the absolute best in the country and she is just a 2nd year player. She will go on to be one of the best to ever do it at BC, in the ACC and the game in general. We can compare the two again when both career's are all over, but Coach Treanor made it clear for me tonight.

Employing a face guard displays lack of confidence in your defense or incompetence as a coach, especially if your team traditionally plays a zone defense. When used against a strong player and a well coached offensive team the face guard will not be effective. Lacrosse is a team sport and good coaches utilize their entire team in all aspects of the game (one women teams do not win). When a face guard does work it usually because the player being face guarded is not a very strong player or the coaches of the player being guarded do not know what to do. This is not High School, the face guard is simply not effective vs a well coached balanced team or against a legit player.

Wow , get over yourself. Faceguards can be and have been very effective .It’s amazing you know more than these coaches that employ a face guard from time to time and yet you are on here spewing nonsense .

To this point, although Northwestern did not beat Maryland, their face guard against Maryland's top player was effective. 0-6 shooting and 2 assists. The part that most miss with the face guard is that it creates substantially more space for the other 6 offensive players to operate in. Against some of these top teams like Maryland, they have too many other outstanding players to guard in that extra space. Same story with BC, UNC and other top teams. Face guard is more effective against a team with one clear dominate player and not as good a supporting cast.

As one of the earlier post above states "Employing a face guard displays lack of confidence in your defense" Northwestern's Defense has not been great in recent years so I can understand why they tried the face guard. Obviously the tactic did not work, AC had six shots which is her shots per game average for the season. AC also had two assists and Maryland won the contest. The face guard did not work. There are two instances or situations where a face guard can be effective, 1 - when a weak team relies on one player because they have no other scoring options hence the "weak team" reference. 2 - when you want to shut off a particular player in a specific situation i.e. Limited time on the clock and your team is up by a goal and you know the other team wants to go to goal with a certain player. It's not a bad idea to try do disrupt their plan. Trying to shut off (face guard) a good player on a good team for the entire game rarely works, good players, especially the ones on good teams will still do their thing and help their team win (as seen in the BC vs SU game).