Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes I go to bed wishing I lived in Manhasset. You forgot something besides the kids being really smart & the coach having the right connections the parents who live in Manhasset have 7 figure incomes & that says a lot when the Ivies dont offer athletic scholarships. I think that figures in your equation as well, just look at the Garden City kids and how many go to Ivy league schools. Us southshore kids dont stand a chance ever heard the expression white trash?
Don't consider yourself white trash just because you live on the south shore. Legacy does play a part into getting into the Ivies, as does economic ability, but what seems to get lost, especially to you Y.J. parents, is that S.A.T. scores and high school transcripts are the determining factor. As far as C.R. contacts to those schools, I'll let her record as posted on your beloved commit list speak for itself. As far as Liberty being a "lesser" club than Yellow Jackets, thaat may be true. What your club also leads the rest of the country in is jealous, angry, low lacrosse IQ parents that spout some of the most obnoxious statements, based on there Childs ability in sport that most of them have never played.

That's so typical of a liberty [lacrosse] parent thinking that the reason not a lot of YJ players go Ivy is SAT scores and transcripts not being up to their kids standards. Many reasons as stated previously not the least of which is not going to school with kids that have the same attitude as their snobby parent.

YJ Nation, do not get sucked into this rat hole. The agenda is simple, find some area of perceived weakness with the program to put it down. As for the discussion at hand, it is ridiculous. Going to an Ivy League school is great, I went to one, but it is far from an educational benchmark. Depending on the poll, there are numerous schools ahead of some of the ancient eight. Stanford, Duke, MIT, CIT, Hopkins, Northwestern and Washington U. in St. Louis. That is just national schools and does not factor in liberal arts schools like Williams, Amherst, Swathmore, Bowdoin and Middlebury. You are also completely ignoring the field of study. Depending on the major, you could list dozens of schools that are better than many of the ivy schools in that area. Let's talk admissions at the Ivy schools. legacy applicants have a huge advantage. Harvard admits approx. 15-20% of undergrads that are direct children of an alumni. If you expand the definition to other family members the number can get as high as 30%. The answer is simple, money. Alumni donate time and money to the school. There kids will too. This is a powerful draw during the admissions process. Sticking with Harvard as the example, nearly 50% of their undergrads come from families making over $200k per year or the top 4% of households. There is also data that shows the richest 20% are eight times more likely to send their kids to an elite school than the bottom 20%. As for grades and SAT scores, as long as the coach wants your kid, their standard for admission is lower than a non-student athlete. You do not have to compete against the "normal" applicant. I fit that description when I went to school. More than half of the men's lacrosse team had no business at that school academically. So to YJ parents, be proud of your girls no matter where they go to school!!!

Game over, nice job. Only issue is it was written by an Ivy guy, lol.