Originally Posted by Anonymous
The goalie on Jersey’s head was even with the top crossbar on the goal....72 inches. He probably weighed 175. Pretty Unlikely that he is a ‘26 kid.

My son is a 2026 (on age), he is 6ft tall but no where near 175, but height doesn't equal age.
How many Lacrosse Scholarships are Available and What Schools Offer Them?
Not all colleges that are eligible to offer scholarships will choose to do so. For example, Ivy League schools choose not to offer athletic scholarships. Lacrosse is an equivalency sport, which means all scholarships are not full scholarships, and coaches can divide the value of the scholarships available to them between as many players as they see fit. Full rides are very rare.

Men’s Lacrosse
NCAA D1: 12.6
NCAA D2: 10.8
NJCAA: 20

The current Duke roster has 50 players. 12.6/50= NOT A FULL RIDE

Correct. However, only LI kids are allowed to receive lacrosse scholarship, and they make up 50% of college lacrosse teams!

Regarding the 6ft tall 2026 kid who is "on age", keep in mind that "on age" differs from state to state, as different states use different calendars when placing kids in Kindergarten, etc. NY, for instance, uses a calendar that makes their kids younger when "on age" than every other hotbed-ish state. NY "on age" kids for 2026 are almost always going to be 2008 birth years. In relevant other states, many of the "on age" kids are later half 2007s.

This is yet another reason why lacrosse should move to a BY system, or maybe a Sept-Aug system. Even the non-holdbacks are not similarly situated. For the life of me, I have never understood why the club owners have not figured this out. For the kids that are more multi-sport athletes, and for whom lacrosse is not that big a focus, many of them have been one and done on the travel scene and age disparities has been a part of it. I know several families that were frustrated by this and their kid played one year and that was it. Yes, the kid who is both a top athlete and a year round lacrosse player can handle the older kids, but the kid who is just a good, but not great athlete, and who only touches a stick during lacrosse season - the older kids are too much. These kids are available during the late spring/early summer travel season, and the summer tournaments are a lot of fun. You would think the directors would try to increase their customer base by leveling out the playing field. The top kids can always either play up, or play on AAA type teams vs the top kids at their age. Hockey has figured this out. There are a TON of mediocre athletes playing travel hockey and shelling out tons of money who come back year after year, because they get to play in competive leagues and travel to competitive tournaments - where all the kids are, on the average, the same size and at the same level of development. My kids have played a TON of hockey and lacrosse against MD and PA kids, and its amazing how these states seem to have lacrosse kids who are much bigger and faster than the hockey kids. Its because of the age differences.

A few years ago when my kids were younger our team was camped out next to another team from a different state. The kids were hanging out and talking, which all the parents thought was awesome. They started taking about hockey and the kids realized that most of them were at the same tournament earlier that year. But then as the conversation continued the kids came to learn that the other team was Pee Wee, which our kids were Squirts (if you know hockey you know what this means). The parents of the other team seemed embarrassed, while the kids thought that this was because they were better at hockey. Suffice it to say this other team killed us when we played.