Personally, I would think college coaches would want to see the kids play against kids of similar ages, because for recruiting purposes, if a kid looks like a giant stud, but really the only reason that is is because they are 1.5 to 2 years older, then they really aren't good, they are just older. Of course, now that the recruiting frenzy has calmed down, coaches will have a better idea of what they are getting, because rising Juniors who are older my look a little better, but it is not nearly the gap as it was in 8th grade. I have seen a big closing of the gap this summer (my son is an on-age 2020) kids that we super studs the last few years (and yes are "committed" to top programs) are struggling to stand out this summer and are very frustrated by that too (based on their acting out on the field when they are being consistently being beaten, they are clearly not used to that!). It will be very interesting to see how some of these "total studs" do moving forward, IMO, they are in for a rude awakening as are the coaches who have "committed" them. Of course, this is probably why coaches are "committing" close to 20 kids per grade, so the ones that don't work out, will just fall to the wayside.