Originally Posted by Anonymous
I just read the release. So my son who is Nov 2002 birthday is presently in 8th grade and plays 2020 will be reclassified next year/summer (2017) to U14 (8th grade equivalent) and be the equivalent of reclassified to 2021 for tournaments with travel and play 8th graders even though he will have finished his first year of high school?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Don't over complicate it. He will be playing with and against only kids who were born on or between September 1, 2002 and August 31, 2003. Who cares what grade the kids are in.

Well that's really the question isn't it? Who cares? Do college coaches care? do they care now and do they factor chronological age in? So in the example above this boy can play high school JV as a freshman (against freshmen and sophomores)and then play for a club team in the summer as a u14 against mostly 8th graders. As he moves on and plays in recruiting tournaments, will this get factored in? I can see a scenario where he is a little behind the curve as a HS player then a standout on the travel team. Will this affect how kids are evaluated and recruited?

I maintain that the best way for a college coach to access youth players is to watch them play against kids their own age. Watching a 16 year old dominate 14 year olds tells me very little about how that 16 year old will play when he is 20. Offering him would make me very nervous since those 14 year olds will catch up physically when they get to age 18 or so.