Originally Posted by Anonymous
Someone please tell me how does one go about playing down if they say they will PG. What the progression? How is it all outlined? I've had many a conflicting conversation about this. This should be good.

I thought if you are in HS you can't magically lower your grade designation, Sure you can get left back or not finish a grade but that is not the point here.
1. Do you go to a Prep school (Avon / Taft / one of the Philips / Deerfield / TP etc) and say I want to enroll my son?
2. What is the enrollment criteria? (is it $$ and grades and/or Skill gets you in)
3. Do you say I want to enroll him now, or do you say in a year or 2? or do they tell you when?
4. Do they say okay if you come in your son will repeat x grade?
5. Does he continue on his academic progression and you get the benefit of taking other higher level courses strengthening his academic resume?
6. Or does he just repeat classes he already took?

They were just kidding. You can't just make up your grade. It's whatever grade you are currently enrolled for all grade based leagues. They were being sarcastic.

No, they were not, some said their child will repeat the current grade ( their child was in 80's) others said it is a pre college year (their children were 90's) but without an advanced course load? Does it depend on the needs of the child and what the family wants or does the school steer that ship?

As far as just playing a grade at random tournaments, my son would be recognized. I am having a hard enough time now seriously considering it; I could not do it without the PG being in motion. It is now or never to reclass/PG. If it is going to be done I would want to do it the right way, mainly play at his age, but yes, also squeeze in some games at his future college entrance year. (Only doing this for a spot at the school of his/our choice, the year above is loaded with talent a year separation helps all involved - red/blue shirt 5th year is not an option. I realize "I am changing his stars", and it is only lacrosse but it is a top school academically and athletically. Yes, he would be able to get in on his current year and be rostered but the reclass does set him up a lot better. if the PG program offers AP courses which will better prepare him for the rigors of the next level I say no brainer it is about making the college experience the best it can be in and out of the classroom.

This decision did not come lightly and have 3 family members playing and they all wished they had the options that have been laid out for us.

I know of boys planning to do a PG year and currently playing the grad year below their actual grade. That's how some people do it. I'm sure private schools are happy to reclass a new student because it makes their school performance look better athletically and academically, when actually it's at least partly because average age of students is older.

Another great way to "set your kid up better" is to have them learn the value of determination and hard work, maybe even with a little struggle/frustration along the way, rather than performing better because they were handed an age advantage. I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out - I know you are not alone - but there is something to be said for being the younger, smaller kid who is not the best at something learning how to work hard and achieve success.