Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nobody is talking about disabled kids. Your missing the point. Good luck to you and your child.

The other poster, I believe, was not missing the point. ADHD, dyslexia, speech delay, hearing impairment, etc are all legitimate pediatric health challenges (ie disabilities) which often lead to delaying kindergarten for a year. These disabilities, while not visible on the surface, are as real as a child that has a physical disability. In reading this thread for the past month the “hold back is an embarrassment” drum beaters want to whistle past legitimate reasons kids are held back. Believe me most folks are not thinking about their son/daughter being a lacrosse prodigy at age 5 of they are trying to manage a child with ADHD. As the guy wrote, grow up- it’s youth sports.

Actually, i would bet that the majority of parents who hold their kids back for sports have some lacrosse background. Each surprisingly large or physically-ahead child i've encountered seems to have a parent that is fluent in the rules. Granted there are plenty of legitimate scenarios where a child needs another year at a grade level - but does that mean he or she should not get their drivers license at 17 as well? Then why should they play a year down in lacrosse? Would football allow it - i am not sure.