Originally Posted by Anonymous
The only point of the age argument is for public school parents to marginalize private school families in their own minds. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously private systems have evolved at a greater rate than public systems, so the only way to make themselves feel better is to bully and criticize. There's plenty to criticize about the public system, but I don't typically see parents on here going out of their way to point out the negatives of public school education. Maybe they should, plenty of material.

This might be the single dumbest post on the site, and that says a lot. No one, and I mean no one, is looking to "marginalize" private school families. My kids go to public school. I don't care if every kid on their travel team goes to private school. I don't care if every opponent at every tournament goes to private school. All I care about is having the kids play vs kids their own age.

I also don't care what grade my kids teammates are, and I don't care what grade their opponents are in. Indeed, I don't even care if they go to school at all.

There are a s---t ton of private school kids playing hockey. They all play on age, and there are no issues with this whatsoever.

Somehow lax is "special" . . . or something . . .!

I think part of the problem is that on-age proponents are sloppy with their arguments, and make it seem like they are advocating against holdbacks, which I think is what threatens private school families who want to hold their kids back for reasons that may be broader than just lax.

Instead, its best to advocate that families should be able to hold their kids back all they want. It's none of my business if a kids completes two years at 8th grade. I don't care if every frosh at St. Elite HS is 16. Just play vs kids your own age in travel lax. School has nothing to do with youth travel lax.

Copying hockey would be perfect. It should be birth year (or Sept-Aug; no need to EXACTLY copy hockey if Sept-Aug is deemed best) exclusively up to and through when the kids are 15. At 16 there would be a split - like their is in hockey. The top kids can go to "junior lax", where kids ages 16-20 compete together and otherwise prep for college lax. The rest (the majority of kids) can still play on age in "[lacrosse] lax". Kids playing [lacrosse] would largely be kids not going D1, or even college at all - just kids who like to play and are prepping for the final years of HS lax.

The top kids who are playing "junior lax" - for the prep school kids who might be 19 or 20 entering college, they can play here for 4 years, then start their college careers. For the public school kids, they can play here for two years. When they graduate and they are ready for college and college lax, they go. If they want, they can do a PG year before college, ect.