I am surprised parents put the birthdates out there. Usually you find out when your kid starts going to 10 year old birthday parties when he turns 8. Or his older brother starts talking to one on his teamates cause they play soccer together. Parents cheat. Not the kids fault but not my kids fault either. Why should your kid get screwed? There are only do many spots you only need 13 to play. Its happened to my kid. Should be starting at attack but Johnny gets the nod because he is a better athlete with lesser skills. Sure he is a better athlete he is a year older shouldn't be there, got annihilated when 5th grade scrimmages 6th grade on age. Example of can't compete repeat. A year is huge. When I was a kid on JV in 10th I started over a 9th grader who was my friend because I was older and a little stronger faster but just ok player. A year later no one could touch him on Varsity and he went on to play college. If a year older still counts up until you are 16 , do you think the year counts or two counts when you are 8?