Originally Posted by Anonymous
Studies, US pediatricians board, etc. (look up any study shared by the Times or Post) all have come out stating holding back students (whether for the old school reason that they flunked or the new school reason that they will have better chance to win) is bad for the kid. They actually adjust by dumbing themselves down including emotionally because they are not developing with their proper peer group-- they tend to do poorly adjusting in life, don't handle adversity well, expert preferred treatment, etc. Funny how what used to be a lower-class and minority-dominant issue (flunking) which was determined as bad for all involved is now an upper-class issue (redshirting) championed by prep schools and rich folks in the name of beating out others. YES, Johnny will be better at lacrosse from now through high school. But the experts say he will be worse off in life.

Yes that's all true, we called it getting left back, was for the [lacrosse] who couldn't cut it in their own age group. Left behind, while the capable kids got on with their lives. Beyond me why anyone would chose to do this to their kid. But then I have seen plenty of parents get their kids classified for special ed when they weren't in the public school system to get extra services like resource room, extra time etc. Me, I'd rather let my kid learn how to deal with real life challenges so he will know how to cope with being an adult one day.

Because average public education is essentially third world, and when you get to private you realize what you've been missing, and the extra year helps with catching up to reality. An extra year of school is a gift, there is absolutely no negative whatsoever. Private schools are almost universally adopting the pre-first curriculum, and the studies used to develop are probably more relevant than studies focused on kids that fail public school grades (which are the studies referenced in original posts). Sour grapes public school parents love to pretend there is some negative connotation, but it is a ridiculous argument. Do what you want, but don't try to pretend public school education is some gold standard extraordinary system!!! Just keep saying spoiled/rich/privileged, gets your point across better. Stop with the public school pedestal, not so good!!

Average in general, "yes" - but, the average on LI is WAY higher than general, and in many cases the top 10% publics rival the local privates.

Grenada is nicer than Beirut also.

That's a ridiculous statement - 12 of the top 50 schools in NYS are on LI (USN News & World Rept), and even more would be included from Long Island were it that they had higher participation in standardized tests (I live in such a district - in top 100 in US for other reports that do not require standardized test participation thresholds). Many of these LI schools are similarly in the top for the entire country! Sorry if you live in one of the districts that isn't cutting it. Don't go away angry - just go away!

Even the trash public school system has to have a best location.