There is no argument at all. Holdback parents try so hard explaining there reasoning. It sounds comical.

My kid wants to play with classmates.
Answer. no, he will make new friends. Parents of kids in other sports have no choice. It’s age based.

My kid was academically/socially not ready at time kindergarten started, so we held him back.
Answer, I hope your son does well in life. No problem. However in youth sports, he still plays his age.

My family moved around a lot, needed to change schools. Had to redo 2nd grade.
Answer. Ok academically it’s more important, I hope he does well. I hope your new home is nice. However youth sports he plays his age.

My son has a birthday in July or August.
Answer. Sept 1st. That’s the cutoff date for this sport. That’s the way it goes. There has to be a date. Tell your son in 20 years to get his wife pregnant 8 months before cutoff date. This is the most ridiculous argument of them all.

My oldest sons birthday is in 2 weeks. APRIL. So he isn’t near cut off date. He plays with kids 8 months older. If I held him back according to cutoff date he would be 4 to 16 months older than everyone else. I’d be embarrassed being a dad on sideline watching my son do well against younger, smaller kids. They are little kids. It’s Youth sports If other dads had this way of thinking, this sport would be great. High school is different.