Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do they cheer Johnny. Do they clap. Do they scream. Do they high 5 other parents. Do they sit silently. What’s the proper reaction, when your 8 year old lights it up against 6,7 year olds. Also that kid took a 7 year old kids position on the team. My embarrassed reaction would be just to sit silently.

Well you finally pushed my button with this pandering, judging post. Here goes:

My son was born in July He started school right after turning 5. At the time we never had a thought about sports. He was just a kid. You paint a picture that we had some grand plan that would make him a sports super star. Sorry to disappoint but there was no plan. We were simply young parents raising our kid.

Everything our son does we cheer him on, support him and encourage him. No exception when he plays sports. Your view that we should sit silently and be embarrassed is ridiculous. This being said we do not act like the head of Cobra-Kai Dojo and scream inapproriate things. No, we embrace the parent conduct code and cheer for him, his teammates and all the other kids playing. You see the joke is on you and your insecurities, as sports are not central to our goal in raising our son. Sports is just a venue for him to play and learn many life’s lessons. In the end we have no anticipation of him playing sports in college. Instead we hope he majors in engineering or becomes a doctor.

So please stop telling me I should be embarrassed that my son is good lacrosse player and loves lacrosse. The kids he plays with to him and to us are just other kids. He never gives any mind as to who they are, whether they are 6 months olde then him or 6 months younger. He is just a kid playing lacrosse.

I’m closing I ask that you take time to examine your defensive ego as it pertains to you and your son. If you do these things your self worth insecurity will abate and you will learn to enjoy watching your son play for the love of the game whether it be with kids 6 months older then him or younger. If you and your son can not find joy in him playing lacrosse based upon your hold back insecurity you should think about having him take up some other form of recreation.

You didn't hold your kid back. Your kid is playing on age you should be proud.The conversation is about parents who holdback for academic/ developmental issues and and use this to take advantage of this loophole in lacrosse and worse parents that repeat the holdback of an already old kid or repeat a grade. Those people should be ashamed and called out as cheaters. How is Billy on my team when he plays soccer with my older brother who is 2 grades older than me and in class picture from last year with my older cousin but disappeared this year?