Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If USAL didn't care about it, and others didn't care about it, USAL wouldn't be expending the time and money to try and change to an age-based system. Perhaps you should refer to other more mature sports organizations that have evolved to this for the same reasons - first and foremost, it is about safety of the players; level competition is a secondary consideration. It is apathetic attitudes such as yours that prevent any organization from improving. Personally, one of my sons is a December b'day who could been in the grade below, then playing 'down' and dominating, but he plays on age with all his on age friends, and he is also big enough to play with the holdbacks that play down at his grade year - I've seen my son play down on a couple occaisions, and he looked like Rabil out there against that age group, but a middle of the road player in his on age team. That doesn't make it right, and I was under no illusions that he should be playing down just to achieve that false accomplishment. Before 8th grade, it matters a lot, and that is supported by most studies on athletes and maturity - you're entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts. There is enough diversity in size, strength, ability, etc, etc within a 12-month age band, yet you want to suggest that expanding that band as much as 24 months has no bearing, despite the studies that suggest otherwise? Seriously??!

Obviously you're concerned about your sons safety. I would suggest picking up your skirts from the dry cleaner and leaving one out for him. Pathetic.

Nice try DB - my sons are both solid kids who also play football, so absolutely no worry there! But, as a youth coach, player safety is at the top of the list - therein lies the difference between actually running a league/sport/team versus the self-centered, ignorant, and uninformed parent.