Originally Posted by Anonymous
Exactly - in any other sport, CHOOSING to have your child play up is the gold standard for really gifted athletes. Having kids play down in lacrosse #1 is taking away the choice aspect from EVERYONE else, and #2 also non-indicative of any talent at all. I've posted before on these boards: my 2021 son played down once in an A 2022 game and looked like Paul Rabil in that game - on age, he is mid-level middie on his B level travel team! While exciting to watch in the moment, I wasn't really impressed as it is sort of what you would (should?!) expect under those circumstances.
It seems as if all the "top" attackmen for 2024 are all 12 years old and should be in 6th grade! I wonder how great they'd be playing in 2023?!?

This is exactly the problem with lacrosse. The rules are backwards. My son (4th grade with a Sept 2007 birthday) is playing 2024 this season. He had a decent fall, struggled a little, but I know he will be better for it. His game will get a lot better, a lot quicker, playing against older, physically advanced competition.

As a parent, why would you want your son playing against younger competition? Is he really being challenged and improving?

I would like to say I am in agreement that all kids should play at there AGE! not at a grade there parents put them in.But your son is a young 2025 why are you making him even play with the 2024's?