Originally Posted by Anonymous
I guess the question is. Can a child that has spent his youth playing for b teams in b tourneys still have a chance to play at a higher level when that time comes? I'm more curious what parents with older kids have experienced? In 8th 9th and 10th grade. If you are still playing for a B team. In B tourneys for whatever reasons. Would you say it's much much harder to play at the next level due to lack of exposure?

Been in your shoes my friend. Current College D3 player. Had many D3, D2 schools look at him between 11th and 12th grade. Even had 1 or 2 light looks from Low D1 programs. So, how did my B team guy get to that point? First you need to make sure your son really loves this sport and wants to excel at it. Yours is still real young. Mine wanted to be better around 6th grade. We went to a B level travel team. Only three clubs on LI at that time. We tried to have him play against best competition, and with best players he could find. The major key here is stick development, and overall skill development. Unfortunately, this takes money and time on your part. I found a great lax guy, who constantly corrected, and taught my son how to move, shoot, and shoot on the run. (number 1 skill for offensive player) If yours is a defensive kid, find a guy that knows footwork, and takeaway check skills. You need to train over and over to master these skills,year round. Don't give up other sports, but continue training once a week. Continue to find best players to play with.
As he gets older, find opportunities to have him play against older better kids, (if he can handle it physically)let him get his [lacrosse] handed to him. Makes them better on age!
Next thing, as soon as he starts maturing and even before, get him in well known strength training program year round. Doctors at special surgery have found low weight full body strength training is appropriate for kids as young as 9 or 10. Anyone who tells your otherwise, including pediatrician, is clueless.
Lets review:
-Make sure your son wants this, and continue to monitor his motivation
-train, train, train, keep playing the other sports he wants to play. Don't force second sport. One high D3 and one top 25 D1 kid here who gave up second sports in MS. Their Choice.
-play up where he can
-play with best kids you can, and against best competition
-strength training sooner rather than later, (NO SHOOTS AND LADDERS SPEED JUNK,) strength equals speed and agility. Never forget this!
- keep making sure they want to do this
- getting recruited isn't easy
- train, train, train
When gets older, there are so many showcases and individual events to get recruited out of.
Hope this helps!
My b team kid will play his senior year in college. Been playing since he was in 1st grade. In the gym today in the snow! Goes back to practice in snow and cold next week. Sounds like fun? They have to love it.