Originally Posted by Anonymous
What kids are being hurt the kids on age or the kids being told by their parents they are not good enough to compete among kids their own age. The difference between a 14 yo and 15 yo physically and maturation wise is dramatic but not as dramatic with a 18 and 19 yo. The kids who were never moved up are less prone to injury while the kids s held back are used to being the bigger and stronger kids will not be able to handle the strength and pressure of being the younger kids when in Hs and college. Look at college and I bet more star players were never held back. Just read outliers to see the holding back concept fails as the kids are all matured. "You can always play up but never play down". I have no problem letting my kid playing with older kids. It will only make him stronger

I don't think parents have to tell their kids ANYTHING because it's their kids that are on the fields fighting to win, not the parents (believe it or not!!). All I will say is to the parent that feels he needs to tell johnnny he's no good against these older better teams, put your son in a situation that benefits him - instead of being on the defensive. There are plenty of opportunities so look and you will find. Be creative. And most important - sometimes what is right for your son is not the path you intended to take. Open your eyes and be proactive. Your son will benefit in the long run.