Originally Posted by Anonymous
2018 parent trying to figure out whether to provide my son the opportunity to play at the 3D Blue Chip Region Tryout in January next year.

I’ve read Forum pages 40-60 which start to cover this topic, but hope to get some more color from the 2017 parent group. I am aware that the actual Jake Reed camp for 2017 is still one week away.

Also, if anyone attended the Brine event July 1-3 and is also attending this, can you compare and contrast?

I am not concerned about the recruiting angle or the money grab implications. I am curious as to whether the camp is competitive and provides an opportunity to play against top talent while receiving top coaching.

The pricing seems competitive when compared with the three day instructional camps.

Absolutely would go to the 3D Blue Chip camp in January. My son went this year and had a fantastic experience (also made Jake Reed Nike Blue Chip). Very good training, well-organized, and great ratio of coaches to kids, they actually learned something rather than just playing games. Additionally, the level of competition was quite good for the Mid-Atlantic (LI, NJ, Philly, etc). Also, this is the only way to make the Jake Reed camp for rising freshmen which is a great opportunity. Even if you kid doesn't make Jake Reed, it still worth it in my opinion.

Brine was also a good experience for my son but not at the level of 3D Blue Chip. Limited skills training (only one session), most of the time is spent practicing and playing with you state's team. Decent competition (although not great) but a really fun experience for the boys playing on a state team. Coaching dependent on who you get assigned, some better than others. 3D Blue Chip more valuable in my opinion and would prioritize it over Brine, but Brine a fun event as well. Hope this helps, my 2 cents.