Originally Posted by Anonymous
Guess you cant wait to part with your money so your 8th grader can get "a look" from nobody..!!!

My son verballed to Hopkins yesterday based on his performance at 3D blue chip. Hes the first 8th grader in history to verbal. Petramala is giving him a full ride and guaranteed him a starting position all four years and an assistant coaching job when he graduates. So glad its over and I dont have to wait until March 1st.

My guess is that you are just another LI parent whose kid stinks so you need to try to rain on everyone's parade. Have another son, maybe your luck will be better next time.

Wow, really? Let me guess what team your son is on.......and you couldnt be any more wrong....the reality is that NOONE is looking at 8th graders for college right now unless your kid is off the chart special. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 kids that play travel lacrosse here on LI that fit that mold. Its not raining on anyones parade, its reality....If your son verbals to a D1 school within the next two years come back on this board and let us know who he is and where hes going and then I will be the first to congratulate you and your son, but I wouldnt get used to the idea.......

Absolutely never said any college coach is looking at an 8th grader. If a parent wants to spend some money to give their kid the opportunity to go to 3d blue chip or jake reed as a 2017 why all of the hostility? The competition is great which is one aspect of your kid getting better and it is great Dad and son time. That is why I don't get all the negative sentiment about it, it makes no sense and no one is under the illusion it is the be all and end all, particularly for an 8th grader. So if you think it is stupid, can't afford it, whatever, stop degrading those who think it is a great experience for 8th grade boys and work a little harder so you can pay for it.

If you actually read the post and understood it I wasnt in any way degrading or showing any hostility towards anyone that went to 3D. I was there with my son and I thought it was a great experience all the way around. Trying to inject some reality into the conversation is all. If my son is picked I will gladly go to Jake Reed and enjoy every minute of it, but im not so caught up in it that I actually believe some college coach is gonna look at my son. No matter what they say there are people on the board who believe that.

Thanks for clarifying. I am not one of those parents. However, if a 2017 does go to Jake Reed I do think it is a net benefit for a kid in terms of potentially getting an invite freshmen summer when it matters a lot more.