Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is my final post on out of state kids and age. Primarily reffering to MD and
PA private school kids. My friend's son is rising sophomore at well known prep school near Philly which plays in that very well known highly recruited league down there. I will not name the school nor the kids. His son is age appropriate for his grade. I asked him what the deal was with holding kids back? He says it is an epidemic. Just this weekend he met the father of an incoming freshman to his son's school. This young man turned 15 in December of 2012. He will be 16 on the first day of Lacrosse as a freshman. He will be 19 and a half when he graduates. If he goes to Jake Reed next summer as a rising sophomore he will be competing against 14 year olds. If he has any ability, do we think he might standout? He also plays on a well known travel team at the 2017 level. Because thats the year he graduates. Now imagine this scenario playing out over and over. Sorry fellow Long Islanders we are be played.....

Just curious.How does one "hold his child back" Do you tell his teacher the child is immature? Do you force the child to fail his tests? How is done?

Two ways. This was the plan early on when they waited until the boy was 6 1/2 before entering K. Then there's the private school or prep school way which has become very popular in certain corners, i.e. MD and PA. The kids go to public school until 8th grade. They then stay in public school for one more year for 9th grade. Now they decide, they want to go to one these prep schools. They then enter as a 9th grader. Repeating the 9th grade. Hence now you have a 2017 that in our world should be a 2016. But, 2017 is his grad year... There you have it, hold backs and grade repeaters.
Now with scenario above, it would be like taking a typical LI rising senior, and playing him down in a rising sophomore bracket. Think about the average good player you know next door, then give him that kind of age advantage. Suddenly that kids a superstar. At a recruiting camp he's a top player. Now take 6 or 7 of these kids and put them on team. Think that team has an advantage? Everything needs to go age based, birth certificate based. When that happens, this whole discussion goes away. Unfortunately, too many people invested in the status quo. The clubs that cheat, parents looking to game the system, private schools who want the money and lax championships, and the college coaches who love physically mature 19 1/2 yo freshmen.