Originally Posted by Anonymous
Playing your son down means that as a father you had either a son who was either not smart enough to do schoolwork on age, or not athletic enough to compete on age or likely both. Instead of hit the wall, hit the books. Teach your son challenge himself to be better, instead following the path of least resistance to playing an age down. It is ironic that the same dad posts condescendingly (that means "talks down to" for you holdback dads) about kids in AAA & AA but can't see that their own son was not only not capable of playing against the top level; but that they had to drop them down a whole age group to make them feel better about their competitive chances. I bet you can also dunk a basketball on a 7 foot rim. But so what?! Be a better human. Stop blasting kids who are actually trying to succeed, at the same point or above where you already gave up on your son There is a reason that Long Island lacrosse makes fun of Maryland. It is you.

You can make fun of MD all you like. Long Island children would benefit from the approach taken by most MD independent schools in offering a pre-first year to those kids who need one.

My son did a pre-first year, and now by your logic is considered a "holdback". His pre-first year allowed him time to mature from a boy who wanted to play all day into a boy who began to understand the difference between classroom and playground and act accordingly. He is now an A student. Were we wrong to allow him time to mature? How does our decision affect you or anyone else?

Read the science - boys and girls mature at different rates. Many more boys do a pre-first year than girls.

Many parents struggle with deciding whether to do a pre-first year. I have spoken with a number of families about the decision, both before and years afterward. The parents who decide to have their child do a pre-first year never (NEVER!) regret it. At five years old, it isn't done for athletics, at least not by most parents; it is done for well-being and gives the child a chance to mature academically and reach their potential as they progress through school. I wish I had been granted the opportunity as a child.

Are there some kids who move from public to private schools and repeat ninth grade? Sure. Do some do it for athletics? Yes, of course. The large majority do it for academic reasons. Should USA Lacrosse be actively trying to change the system to protect smaller players from being hurt while playing against larger kids who are older (and in some cases much larger) yet in the same grade-based division? Absolutely. The problem isn't the kid who did a pre-first year - the problem is the grade-based system that the clubs and some high schools perpetuate.

It has nothing to do with smarts. It has everything to do with what is right for the child.

No one cares what you do for your child to have a better education, Hold him back in Kindergarten and 8th grade for academics, that is two grades down, no one cares...

What has all that got to do with your son getting an advantage at Youth lacrosse that other children with exact same birthday don't get. Did holding him back in Kindergarten ,( that is what it is, you sugar coat it with prefirst) give you a right to play down ??? You are a holdback just like the 8th grader in youth lacrosse, Frankly you are worst, you play against younger children when it actually is a huge advantage 1st-7th grade,

Gosh, your knuckles must get sore dragging the ground like that.

Typical response from a holdback apologist. No response to what is written, just some name calling. Dont like the truth do you.

You try to justify little jonny playing down against younger children from 1st grade thru 8 grade. You imply parents are doing what is right for them?? What ??? No one cares what you do for his education, no one ! But this is youth sports, you know young kids playing that are in elementary school , and somehow your reasoning is that since little jonny couldn't keep up with the other kindergarders, he needs a break and should be allowed to play down. LOL..Yea, that a good reason.

I really would like you to have some decent reason and argument for justifying little jonny playing down., but I know you are not capable of one

Hey, we get it Karen. You don't like the system, so you blame the parents and the kids.

I would remove the system, parents and kids from the equation and think of it more as a pride and being a man thing.