I don't know what kind of 9th grader you are living with, but the one at my house has no idea if he wants to play in college, no idea what sport (he plays 3) and no idea what type of school (division, size, public/private, rural/urban the list goes on committed to playing a division 1 sport at this point. And, that he knows where he wants to go and also to some extent what he can/cannot major in (for example, very few programs encourage you to be any time of very rigorous major so engineering, pre med etc are out). I played a sport in college and I know what a huge commitment it is, and until my son is 100% in and knows what he wants, he will be happy to just play the sports he loves. I just cannot wrap my mind around this crazy early recruiting and I feel really sorry for the kids that are being pressured in to making such an important decision so early and on). I do understand that every family is very different, but I also find it very hard to believe that any kid (without their dad's pushing) really know what they want at this point. More power to your son if he truly knows that he is 100% decided on what type of school they want to attend