Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a parent that has had children in both, there is no comparison. It's silly to argue that there is. Sitting in a class with 10 kids instead of 30 where teachers can create their own curriculum and not teach to some test are two different experiences. The private schools are light years ahead of public schools in preparing the kids for college. I went to public school and took AP classes and still never had to do homework. College was a huge adjustment. Not that way for the private school kids. Most of them say college is easy compared to HS.

Give them a break. They are public school dads. They don't know any better.

getting a little uncomfortable because you can no longer discuss this point as no facts support your paying 100k for high school except for the glossies given to you at orientation? . How come private school parents who pay for their children to go to a school that supposedly builds character etc. are always the ones getting nasty when anyone disagrees with them.

You are way too full of yourself. I believe you are employed by a public school system. What capacity, I have no idea, but you are employed by them.

I won't get into any of this other nonsense but I send my son to private school so he never has to be taught by a public school union employee. If you believe that is better for your children, more power to you. The county run schools in Maryland are terrible, regardless of the county in my opinion. I'll gladly sacrifice the bigger house, better car, bigger vacation place, etc. for my kids.

Maryland has the best public High Schools in the country, per U.S. News. Public schools also have standards for their teachers - like licensing and certification requirements, and pay them more than the privates do so they can attract better talent.

Sending your kids to private school is your prerogative but don't say it's because MD schools are so "terrible", because they're not.

Not employed by any local, county, state or federal agency but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You can't make general statements about Maryland schools. Baltimore city schools and the ones close to the city are pretty terrible and many of the ones that are not terrible are overcrowded. Howard county and Hereford zone schools are awesome. You have to look at the individual school to really tell. Most of the private schools are near many of bad public schools and that is no coincidence.