Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Private schools typically suggest and offer pre-1st. Unless it is a national conspiracy among private schools to drive up early high school college lacrosse commitments that was collaborated 20 or so years ago, I would contend there is no gaming of any system, other than maybe a system of inventing an extra school year worth of tuition for a great percentage of paying families. Many people on here probably could have used that extra year, and I would contend that the concept was thoughtfully developed by mostly good people, with education as the primary focus. To say that the government model of grades 1-12, unchanged for let's say 60-70 years, is the gold standard of excellence in education would be questionable at best.

Very well said.

Private schools are in the business of educating children. If your child needs extra time because they can't sit still, get through a day without crying or napping, it makes sense to do an extra year to let them mature. What does that have to do with their ability to play sports? Kids don't have to play sports with "their friends" on the grade. I personally believe hockey does it right. You make a team by birth year- regardless of your grade. If your team is good, you can play up against Majors if you are in the Minor division, but you never play down. Every once in awhile excellent players get a waiver from the governing body to skip a year and play with an older team. These players are usually the kids that go the furthest. This is the exact opposite from lacrosse. The soft mentality of playing down is ridiculous. Play your age or play up. If you are talented enough, you will stand out no matter where you are. If you are small, you can do a PG year and possibly still be small, but truly talented kids can overcome that short coming.... Look at some of the small college and MLL players. Personally, I was never concerned with my kids as they always played up and are all in HS now, so my stance isn't personally rooted. I just think the sport has been reduced to a "pampered kid" sport and there is less grit among the players. It's far easier to take the easy way out than work to stand out. It's what is wrong with society today- kids and their parents need immediate gratification- if you are not committed or being looked at by 8th or 9th grade, repeat a grade rather than work hard or have faith in your skills. I'm quite disappointed to see that holding back players is now becoming more popular in NY and NJ. I wonder what the new trend will be when the holdback advantage disappears and levels the field.