Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can I ask a question. Why does everyone always talk about D1 schools? Think about how many D1 schools their are and the amount of kids that are playing from all over the country and Canada. Their are not enough spots for kids at these schools. Your kid needs to be a scholar first and a good lax player second. I really wish you parents will get a grip on yourselves. All of you sound really stupid.

Well said. To add to that, it's a full time job and your experience is really quite different than all the other non athletes there. While my son has his hopes on going D1, like every other kid out there- we are using it as a goal and it motivates him to study and stay at the too of his class. In the end, I'm not surreal a D1 spot is what I really wish for him, but if he makes it he will find out himself. Lots of dedication, sacrifice and time management needed to be a successful student athlete and only the quite mature kids really end up pulling it off successfully. Just like now, academics are the priority and in college we expect the same, as will many of the better academic D1 schools.

Great points. However, you might be surprised at the level of commitment it takes to be successful at the D3 level. I'll give you some insight:
-Full workout plan, running schedule and lax program for summer
-15 to 18 hrs a week for fall ball
-25 to 30 plus hrs a week in season
-players shovel the field themselves to practice in cold weather, no in-door practice facility.
-minimum one week of missed classes for travel in season, of a 14 week semester
-players GPA actually penalized for missing class, as many classes have strict attendance policy. No coaching or AD influence with the professors, as academics trumps athletics.
-other than mandatory study hall, no academic support. Player must figure it out on his own. As opposed to tutors available for students provided for free by the athletic dept in D1.
-you pay out of pocket for fall ball and spring break trip
So now you know the real deal in D3 at a competitive program from a good academic school.
Kind of sounds like it's more difficult for a kid to be successful at a competitive D3 program, doesn't it?