Originally Posted by Anonymous
That dammed Canadian went and got himself a scholarship to UVA. Tell me again how he is cheating?

He CHEATED a legitimate 2019 out of an opportunity to commit to UVA... Get it now? Using an unfair advantage to garner what he wanted. I would bet that most age legit, top tier 2019's would blow the doors off 99.9% of any age legit 2020, that's how he's cheating. Wait till your 1 year reclass loses his potential spot to the new 2 time reclasses that are emerging. Nothing like doing 9th grade three times...

Can we pump the brakes a little and call out whoever this is for being off the rails?

Is registering a whole team down a grade to be successful wrong? YES. However, you don't think that Starsia knows the kids date of birth? The kid didn't cheat another 2019 out of an opportunity. These coaches have a job, and that is to win games. They want to add players that will help them win. If your son is good enough, his time will come and if he's not a 2018 from Edge committing in the class of 2019 is not "taking his spot".

Let me take the other side... If it is not an advantage physically & athletically and maturity to re-class down a grade or two then why would someone do it?

Answer... no one would. The fact is that all (and I mean ALL) the re-class laxers seek out that opportunity to look superior on the athletic fields and in the classroom relative to children that are of appropriate age. They get the attention from a travel team coach because that re-class has the (unearned) advantage of size, speed & maturity and possibly academic success over an age appropriate kid. He looks different on the field of play when competing against kids 1 or 2 years younger.

They get the attention from a college for exactly the same reason... that synthetic appearance of superiority.

Now back to the Edge/VA re-class commit. Would he have been able to get the attention from UVA if he stayed in 2018?
Possibly, but he didn't.... and that 2018 offer went to someone else.

By extension, since he got an offer as a 2019 (not a 2018) there is one less likely spot available for an age appropriate 2019 player.

So yes, re-classing = cheating (and cheating another child of an opportunity is offensive).

I can't wait for the day some of the kids that get over looked are able to turn the tables on all this re-classing. Some age appropriate kids will continue to mature while some re-classes will have peaked in freshman year of HS.