Sad state youth lacrosse is in. Development of players in 3rd tear for most big name clubs. NY is no better than PA,MD,VA or anywhere else. Teams in those states follow the rules given for each league and tournament. Rules that most think should be changed due to the bending of those rules. None of which makes them cheaters. Teams also have kids from other states on them that have tried out and paid dues.Which is also not cheating. Some of the youngest players on these teams might happened to be the biggest, fastest and strongest, which is not cheating. Aside from the top High School leagues in the country which accept holdbacks as the norm, it is safe to say every club or team is bending the rules to favor them at every level. It does not matter what State you live in.You can't holdback a player in High School and have them return to that same school. So this is why it happens in 7th and 8th grade.
If your player wants to compete at the Elite level from now to High School than this is what they have to deal with.
The level the 2022's play at is remarkable and fun to watch. It is also clear which teams are developing and being well coached. For me that is all that matters, losing to a team that might have a few holdbacks, or bending rules somehow doesn't mean the end of my sons world. Especially when EVERY team is doing it somehow/someway.
I personally think its a shame the best teams from MD will not be at WYSL. Teams that should be but can't because of the new cut off date. This tournament could of been much better. That is not taking away from all the teams that did make it.
Cheers to new rules that ALL have to follow on every level anywhere in the country.