Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]The whole nation has been short on talent. …
Next spring, I think we'll see the real drop in talent. And no it's not just in the IAC or MIAA. Club, rec, and school teams nationwide - and in other sports too - are struggling to find adequate coaches, players, etc.

The extra year of college sports and the new transfer rules are the biggest drivers of the lack of talent. Those eliminated 4 years of incentive for kids to improve.

The lack of quality coaches and the cost of facilities is the next. Even in the suburbs, the cost to participate for the returns you get have become excessive.

College coaches don't know what do do. You are seeing it already with the signings.
With the past few years of extra covid eliigibility and the transfer portal, coaches haven't had to really "recruit."
Kids just chose where they wanted to go, they got a test run of their freshman or sophomore year, and then they move to where they could play more.
So with a compressed window of eligibility, the coaches are struggling to get this class right.

Completely agree about “excessive”— seems to me that College coaches are looking to make their pockets fatter. That contributes to the lack of “signing”. “Committed” kids don’t pay to attend events. Charging kids $150-175 for “Prospect Days” and then bringing in 100 kids? Easy $15k for one day and some mass emails. Seriously- No good evaluation can be done with those numbers anyways. Any kid who they can access is invited. Instead of telling Johnny he has no chance - “come to our prospect day”. (No camps will be attended unless the there is some actual person to person contact over here). They host these 3 times a year! It’s about money- whether you are at the scoopers, middle school or high school level- it is about making money and nothing to do with the sport or players.

I am curious what people do for a living to afford this nonsense- $300 for a few hour event? $900 for a two day showcase? That is on top of club dues- a few thousand? Add it all up- parents paying $15k to get a $10k “scholarship” at an overpriced school. Rant over.