Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I also credit them for providing names and birthdays. But that being said, only one third of the roster would be in 8th grade in NY.

For the Atlantic Youth Hockey League, which is the highest league kids can play in from Metro NY down to MD (by kids I mean 8-12 more or less), they have the names with month and year of birth for all players on all teams on their central website. Of course, hockey is strictly calendar year age based. The use of only month and year instead of actual birthday mitigates the disclosure complaints that some parents have. For instance, it can be published that a kid is born 6/2002 without disclosing the particular date.

Also, don't kid yourself, recruiting has a lot to do with all of that info being published. It gets it out there to all coaches.

Frankly providing the entire date is an identity theft no, no. And kids get their ID hijacked, and they often don't know it. What a mess it creates. If I were a parent, I would be pissed.

You need a lot more than a name and dob to steal someone's identity. DOBs are not secret anyway. Half of my kid's school and parents know my kids DOB, as well as every coach he has had for every sport he has played, plus all teachers and school personal. Not to mention anyone who snoops around Facebook and social media. But nonetheless, if I were Sons, I would post month and year only like hockey does it. Still serves the purpose of identifying how old the kid is to recruiters and interested parties for transparency purposes. No material difference between 6/2002 and 6/15/2002.