Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think we may be getting way off topic. The rule basically re-instituted what was the existing rule up until 3 years ago. The rules never expected someone carrying the ball while stuck in the back of their stick (not cradling). No one else on field is allowed to do that. Why should we expect a faceoff to be allowed to do it? Because they got good at it doesn't mean it was right and the reason they were taught it was not because of less injury but because there was no rule against it. Was their a huge amount of concussions caused by this for the last 25 years (up until three years ago)? Is the risk same or more than someone catching a pass and turning and getting coma slide hit in crease? There are plenty of areas in lacrosse where collisions occur.

But would you agree that returning to do called "old ways" does increase the risk of head collisions? Don't we have an obligation to minimize this risk if we can? Of course head collisions can and will happen in contact sports. Just think we should not change rules to increase this risk. If that makes me a toolbag, so be it.

I don't think you're a toolbag. And I Hate the use of that word/phrase, especially in this anonymous field of BS.

That said, prior to 3 or 4 years ago, when the NCAA approved the new stick design technology, NOBODY, could pinch/pop&cradle the ball backwards! Not just face off guys, but now any player can "pinch & scoop" with the new technology, thereby eliminating the ground ball scrum. One of, if not THE greatest battles in the game of lacrosse.

For all of those young face off kids (even the ones being recruited), DO NOT worry. Keep perfecting your craft.

Show me the evidence of "old school" face-off guys getting a boatload of concussions and then I will start believing the argument.

Until then, which is probably never, you just come off as ignorant and self-centered.

The face-off moves to clamp & rake, or rake right away, or to slide & clamp, or to pop it when facing a great clamper, were all moves in the "traditional" face-off players arsenal.

The ONLY thing that changed in the last few years has been the stick technology that allows players to "pinch & pop" and then cradle the ball "backwards". This was NEVER the intention of the rules committee.

The "old rules" are still the rules. You cannot hit a face-off player coming in off of the wing position if the player is still scrumming for the ball.