Originally Posted by Anonymous
I really wish people would think a little bit before they post. The best FO men in D-1 have been consistently at 70% for the last 20 years.

The attempt by people to say the pinch and pop has increased wins is patently false. So your 10-8 example does not change the possession outcome whether there is pinch and pop or there isn't pinch and pop. that is why changing the rule makes absolutely no sense. All you gain by the rule change is more collisions at the x, the best D-! guys will still gain possession 70 % of the time.

Remember, you are watching kids play, and clearly the advantage on that level is greater. My son is winning 90% of the time. And half of that is backwards between his legs to the wing. He will still win with the rule change because the other kids just aren't as strong and fast. The only difference to me--honestly--is the extra scholarship $ he can get if he scores three goals a game on a fast break.

High School rules are n ot changing so they will pinch and pop next year, we are only talking about d-1...

The only way your example makes sense is if the proposal was to eliminate the FO all together. Recall, they tried that and it hurt the game so they brought it back.

Wake up people!

I guess at the college level things even themselves out a bit, so point taken on that aspect of the face off. So perhaps something needs to be done then at the youth level though - for one player to have such a disproportionate impact on a game (to use my prior example and your son's stellar face off winning percentage then your son's team has 18 more possessions - due to one player? You think that's fair?).

I just don't think it is about being fair. There will always be some that are better, some that are great. Those are the ones that get scholarships. At the college level they are all great, that's why it tends to even out a bit. This is life, same thing happens to the smart kids when they hit college.

Was at Jake reed this year and there are always some that are better than the rest. the top two or three guys from each age bracket are all getting scholarships ranging from 20-50%.

Having talked to some of the families-not all- coaches that have committed these boys (no letter of intent signed) have said uniformly that their offers remain. I guess we just wait and see.

For those without FOGOs, hope they don't change some rule that effects your kids ability to shine...