Originally Posted by Anonymous
Everyone is allowed an opinion. I don't mind the ball in the back of the stick, but I have a FOGO that is executing that particular move at a very high level...So my opinion is biased and I know it. However, there is no opinion that changes one simple fact, more ground balls at the x necessarily means more injuries.

Four men charging the x at full speed (3 seconds) two men battling equals a scrum on most F/O. Scrums mean slashing and hitting and lots of people on the ground. Some of those people will twist ankles, some will get crushed and have a concussion. More contact equals more injuries at a time when the growth of the sport will come from football.

Seems to me the smart people coming up with new rules or rule changes should consider likelihood of injury and growth of the game as the two most important priorities...

How will new rules effect growth of the game? Well if growth comes from TV coverage, the scrums will not fare well. TV likes action it can see and follow. Scrums are just a big mess. The pinch/pop made Brandon Fowler a star in this sport because everyone (except Syracuse) loved watching him sprint down with the ball. I guess someone forgot to tell him he wasn't a lax player...

some of you don't like it because it adds to much importance to one position on the field. To that, the counter argument is to take a step back and look at the two or three money sports. Baseball think pitcher, football think QB or running back or WR, basketball think power forward, center, point guard. Every big sport has role players because role player perfect their skill and contribute to the success of the team. That is exactly what a FOGO does, whether you like the role or not...so it is here to stay.

I think everyone that has a FOGO simply gets offended by some of the mindless people that make comments like FOGO is not an athlete or doesn't know how to play lax. Those same people are cheering for my son and then come here and anonymously make hurtful comments. Makes people mad and I understand that also.

It is funny though, through years of this, not one person has ever voiced these comments to me face to face...

So, to each of you , of course you can have an opinion, but because many of us don't agree with you doesn't make my kid any less athletic and certainly doesn't make anyone a whiner (as that word gets thrown around but some).

My boy will be fine should the rule pass. Already figured out what to do and how because he is practicing every day...

But he won't have to change as the rule won't get implemented. 3600 signatures so far and image it will be closer to 5k by the 10th of sept.

Excellent post. I can also say from experience that returning to the techniques of the 80s will not move the game forward. I was a F/O man at that time for a top team, and went on to play D1 on a scholarship. I did very well pulling the ball out behind me, or to my wing. Today's methods are so much more exciting to watch. This position has evolved in a positive way I would not want to see my son F/O the way I did, it was messy, and yes there were a lot of injuries. I can see tweaking it a little but not allowing the ball in the back of the stick at all seems to be overreaching.