Originally Posted by Anonymous
All these years and I don't know anyone with a full ride for lax. I know plenty that when they combined the athletic $, the merit $ and the need based aid, they didn't have to pay anything to go to school. If that is considered a full ride by you, fine and congratulations. When the rest of the sports world hears full ride, the think all the $ is athletic only.

If you are lucky enough to have received a full ride for athletics, congratulations but it is far from normal.

My understanding is you can combine academic and need based or you can combine academic and athletic but you can not combine any need based with athletic. I have heard of "full rides" being offered but it was always get what you can in academic and they will make up the balance with athletic and it is usually a lower rung team not a top 25.

As it was explained to us, If a school combines athletic and need based the need based part of the package will work against the total dollars allowed by the team so if a kid gets $10,000 Athletic and $10,000 need based the athletic department only pays $10,000 but $20,000 works against their cap of total scholarship dollars.

This is why a school will have you do financials and you might be eligible for more need based money then the school would have been able to offer you in athletic money