Originally Posted by Anonymous
I read about stringing a lacrosse head backwards as an idea, but think that is still going to be deemed playing in the back of the stick. My idea, and I am not a FOGO parent or lacrosse expert, is why not design a flat head? One curved to a rounded point equally on both sides at the top of the head, and no one way curved rails. Pinch down on the side strung for play and carry. There is no rules on stringing a stick, and if a stick head is cut to have no true "side" kind of like an uncurved hockey stick, then you have a ubiquitous head.

Just an idea. Have no idea if it sounds stupid or not to the FOGO gurus here, but hopefully it can work for you guys. Good luck.

I heard that, interesting.

I also have a question:

Why not just change the rule so the boys face-off using the front of the stick to clamp, not the back. Would that not eliminate the need for the back of stick discussion all together, while keeping the same skill set intact? Or am I missing something?

Same poster again...my guess is that it would be hard for a fogo to pinch and hold a ball in the front of a stringed up curved head with curved rails. I am guessing that for the pinch and carry to be practical to apply, you'd need a flat head that is a ubiquitous design on both sides. If I kid goes to X with a head that cannot be distinguished on either side, there is no "back of the stick" for this design to disqualify the pinch and carry move. Again, just my guess and take with pounds of salt but it may be worth a try. Maybe try a crude attempt at home to take an old head, clip off the rails and melt the stick to a straight shape and have your sons give a try.

I was thinking along these lines as well. Head with no "front" or "back". Here is the question, what denotes the front of the head? Is it the shape? Which your suggestion would solve, or the stringing? If it's the stringing, then any head strung has a denoted front and back deemed by the stringing. Too many amibiguities in the rule change and really no answers.