Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Anyone attend the faceoff competition this weekend? Seems like the best known kids went there.

One of the problematic things in lacrosse now is the financial and motivational disinclination of committed kids to keep grinding away at events like this. I can't find a fault in families who want to stop the financial slam downs of constant showcases and events like this face-off academy. The residual is the next line of kids getting their ink and hype from the lacrosse social media journalists, which is good for them I suppose.

I find it disturbing that everything in this sport now seems to line up toward being all in for the money grab in 7th grade and 8th grade, and then resting on U-15 age laurels when committed. If this was a big time face-off event and most or all of the committed kids passed, that just reiterates the real morass that has taken over this sport. These two one to three day hit-and-run events are how clubs, MLL players, college coaches and events guys are now all trying to make their livings at once and the sheer volume of it is comedic, and the quality of it only goes down when better players have no incentive to subscribe.

I agree, the top kids were not there. It cost over 450$ for two days. Somebody made over 60,000. Insane! And everyone knows it doesn't matter how you do in these competitions, it how you play in a game!