The proposed news rules are suggestions to adapt the faceoff, not abolish it. Most people that have been around the game for a long time love the FO in lax. Nobody is suggesting to get rid of the face off.

The pinch/pop move is controversial because of the adaptations to head of the stick. The NCAA should focus on the technological "advances" the game has experienced in the equipment players use.

Narrower heads have led to fewer turnovers (no, I don't have empirical data, just a keen eye for how the game has evolved).

More turnovers = more unsettled situations. More unsettled situations = higher scoring. Higher scoring = well, you get it....

As far as the comment referring to old guys wanting to move the game backwards I'll say this: when stick heads weren't as narrow as they are today, the clamp & rake was the move and the technique is the much the same as the pinch & pop. Only difference? After winning the initial draw, the FO player had to push the ball out to his wingman or in front/behind him and fight for the loose ball. Hence, creating an unsettled situation.

So, I don't think this debate is about abolishing the faceoff position, or taking anything away from the importance of the faceoff player.

The issue is using the stick in a manner that gives a player an unfair advantage. Widen the head of the stick by a quarter inch at the mouth, and regulate stringing and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

To all the parents and players that have invested money and time to the faceoff position, relax. Your son will adapt to the new rules. His time invested in perfecting his craft has not been a waste.

For the record, as a "purist of the game" I don't think the back of the stick should be allowed to be used to advance the ball.

Let the arrows fly:)