Originally Posted by Anonymous
Whoever said you pay as much money in to the Club as you get out in scholarship well.... my first kid paid in over $30k in her club career and she got a token $5,500 a year athletically to a school that was over $45,000 so we lost our shirts. If that's why you are doing it quit now the return on investment couldn't be any worse than girls lacrosse! If you like the game, and dont mind giving up your summer weekends and have the financial means than do it otherwise get an SAT tutor!

I should have paid my kid $5k and sent her to a state school

Wait! Now is when the posters will come out and talk about their kid or some kid they heard about getting a full-ride to XXX-U or whatever.

Yup, you are correct, there are a small percentage that get full, think the top few kids from each region. There are your next level studs who will see 40-60%, may squeak some extra out of that, these are the top kids at most programs expected to be impact players. Your average players will see 20-40%. The round out of the roster players will see less than 20% if anything at all. And a fair number of players will walk away altogether. Surely everyone's daughter fits in that model somewhere.

I have been involved with girls/women's lacrosse for a LONG time. To the best of my recollection I do not know of any girl/woman getting a 100% scholarship. This does not take into account the girls I personally know who went or are at Navy or Army, where every student gets 100%. I know the Griffin's at U of Md, Steele at U of Md, Brisolari and Carter at PSU, the Stukenberg's, girls at Rollins, Mt Olive, etc...None got 100%. My own kid got 25% athletic money, and she's a stud. I think most of the girls on her college team got around the same amount. Now, whenever someone, in the past, told me that their kid got 100%, after I smirk and ask them "Really?", they always say something like, "Well, you know what I mean. It's close to 100% if you add in academic money". My kid, as an example, got about 40% of the FULL COST TO ATTEND, if you add academic and athletic. That's another thing that many over-zealous parents will use to justify the 100% lie...They don't factor in the FULL COST TO ATTEND. So, without a doubt, I would be 110% leary if some over-zealous yj type said their little studette got 100% to ANY school. It may have happened once or twice, but otherwise, it doesn't happen. Just smirk and walk away, shaking your head.

The moment you name actual players and state what they do or do not get tells me you are either a complete loser or a liar. There are players who are getting the full cost of attendance covered thru athletics , not a lot but I personally know a few. The whole athletic and academic money thing would indicate these players are attending schools that they would have easily gotten into without lax. Academic plus athletic money is a red flag to the NCAA.

Red Flag? It is common practice. Why come on here and try to misinform people?

It may be common, it may not be common. Many schools do not like or just dont mix academic and athletic money exactly for that reason. Think about it ,if a school wants to start giving academic money to many of their athletes that athlete had better exceed the normal academic benchmarks that generally warrant that type of scholarship or schools will take advantage of this to give money to athletes under the "academic" umbrella . If an athlete is using their sport to get into a "reach" school than there is little chance to receive academic money.