Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]Ivy league doesn't apply to 99.5 of lax players. Those kids and those schools are special and it will always be academics first

Now you people living in fantasy land that believe coaches at non ivy schools don't push kids into certain majors go look at the National Champs North Carolina Roster- 12 excercise science, 11 undeclared, 10 communications, 1, history, 1 psych, 1 sociology, 1 geography, 1 economics, 1 nursing

Great degree from a great school but it looks like they are there to major in lacrosse and win a national championship which they did

No question at UNC. But there are plenty of non-ivy great schools that aren't UNC style lax majors. Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, Georgetown ... If your kid is good enough @ lax to play at these places, it's a pretty great combination. Key is to be good at lax and focus on grades.

BTW the Ivy League makes up more than .5 % of D1 Lax. There are 8 Ivy League teams out of 111. More like 7%. So it doesn't apply to 93%. But when u add in the schools mentioned above, and other great academic institutions like Vanderbilt, Navy, Davidson, William & Mary, Richmond and more, you start seeing that a meaningful portion of D1 offers kids both great lacrosse and great academics. I think it does these girls a disservice to paint w such a broad brush and to use examples like UNC to say that these girls who have worked hard to get to these institutions are somehow just lax players and nothing else.

Your post is ridiculous.

Why?

To start the post you are replying to said lax players not D1 lax players. There are over 500 NCAA women's lax programs so the number you corrected was closer to correct than your number.(I get it you are a lacrosse snob so only D1 counts).You then go on to say no doubt about UNC when in actuality you have no idea. They have a kid getting a nursing degree who has played significant minutes that tells me if a kid wants it bad enough they can major in just about anything at UNC and still play lax. Ridiculous to think the players at Duke etc. somehow have less expectations in regard to winning national championships than those at UNC and are thus able to take any major they want. Your next point of schools that offer great lacrosse , no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct.You then go on to say painting with such a broad brush does a disservice when in fact that is exactly what you did about every girl in the UNC program.

great then if we are including D3 lets include the 11 NESCAC schools and dozens of other great academic D3s like Swarthmore etc. The point is, in contradiction to the original post, there are lots of kids getting great educations at great schools and playing high level lacrosse. I guess you are the lacrosse snob though?

"no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct." Which is it? 1st you want to call me names because I limited the universe to D1 to compare to Ivies which are all D1 and then you say that the D1 programs I have stated are not good.

And the use of UNC by the original poster to make the point that girls on top lax teams take weak majors is appropriate. UNC's academics with regard to their athletes has come under quite a bit of scrutiny lately in case you haven't seen. And the list of majors on that team is not great. So deal with it. My point was that it is not true of all schools, even some with very good lax programs.