Originally Posted by Anonymous
I made the comment above that included "in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record." That's what I thought the previous commenter was implying. Not putting down qualified, driven student athletes who need a little push to get over the hump. I was referring to those who use sports to put themselves in a bad situation academically - in a school they have no business being in.

"And then there are the kids that are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it (including most great students who are not athletes). The vast majority of great students are still not getting into Ivy leagues, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke etc. So lax can be a great help in getting into amazing academic institutions. And to original poster, I hope it's a top 20 US News Ranked academic school. Now that is something to crow about."

this is the post u originally responded to. I don't think it implies what u r stating. Ultimately I think we agree that "fit" is important. You likely don't want your daughter at a place where they r overwhelmed or feel inferior and self-conscious. It is important to consider their abilities and not let the "glamour" of a top academic school blind you to the best fit for them. But for those that can "hack it", using lax as a means to get into otherwise almost impossible schools can really set them up for success in the future.