Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just dropped my oldest off at a ncaa top 20 ranked school and the funny thing is she doesn't even play lacrosse!

I get it, and I love it!

I guess in the end you picked academics over lacrosse which is the way it should be, but 99% of parents on here will have their kid playing in college even if they play at a school that is beneath them. My older daughter has some friends playing in places and at schools that no one has ever heard of because a coach showed interest from a 1200 kid school with a $50,000 pricetag and a 75 GPA

And then there are the kids that are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it (including most great students who are not athletes). The vast majority of great students are still not getting into Ivy leagues, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke etc. So lax can be a great help in getting into amazing academic institutions. And to original poster, I hope it's a top 20 US News Ranked academic school. Now that is something to crow about.

So they "are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it" - in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record. And then you add to that a year-round, full time job (lacrosse) and the travel that goes with it. Sounds like you are setting your daughter up for failure - all to play a sport with minimal prospects for post graduation employment. Put ego aside and make the right choice for the future, you'll feel better about it 10 years from now.

You clearly don't understand the statistics. I'm betting you would say a 3.8 GPA in all Honors and AP classes, 1450 on your SATs , president of three clubs, a national science award or two etc would represent someone whose academic record would be fairly qualified to be at just about any school. And the truth is, a student like that would be just fine anywhere in the country, including Stanford, Harvard or Princeton. Yet that profile is an almost certain reject at those schools without an additional "hook" such as sports. So yeah, using lax as a way for a good student to get into a great school does make a lot of sense. Sounds like you don't believe in your daughter.