Originally Posted by Anonymous
Real Question.

My son was asked by a D1 College to come to the school for an official visit. What are some of the do's and don'ts that I should be aware of? I am new to this so I wanted to get some good advice. Thanks

unofficial visit, you can not do an official visit until senior year. parents stay in the background, they want to get to know the kid, the parent should be seen and not heard (ironic) the kid should have some questions about academic programs what his interests are and he should know a little about the lacrosse history as well as familiarize himself about the coaching staff, read the bio's, know where they played in college ect. you might want to impress a coach by how much you love his school by saying you would never go to X school and turns out the assistant coach went to X school.

I have been on a few of these unofficial visits with mine and I have found that because these kids are so young, coaches spent a lot of time asking questions of him about our family. Also spent a lot of time asking us parents about our family.

I also asked a ton of questions and wound up spending a few hours with several coaches. Unlike poster above, I was told it was very refreshing and one of the reasons they wanted (more than one school) my son was the amount of concern we exhibited by the questions we asked. Coach went as far as telling us that he appreciated us because most people don't ask anything...they sit in the background.

How can a parent be serious about verbally committing their kid at 14 if they don't ask a ton of questions--real questions--

It worked for us and we took one of the early offers. I can't tell you what to do, but I suggest you are very engaged and don't just stay in the background. That might be the right approach for an 11th grader, but for a 2018, I needed to be comfortable first, its my kid...

What questions did you ask?