Originally Posted by Anonymous
Good luck with the three schools with interest in your son. I spent weeks trying to figure out the level of interest different schools had in my son, as you are trying to do. High school coach had a different read from the club coach; what my son heard on a coaches call was different at times too. I have a couple of thoughts for you, first make sure your club/HS coach is telling you the truth, not what you want to hear. Club coaches are under huge pressure, to deliver on the promises they make to get boys to play for them re commitments and an easy way to get anxious parents off their back is to say 'college x is interested in your son' - that makes your ride home from the tourney/camp a lot better, but it may not be the truth. Overpromising by coaches hurts you in the long run, because you keep wondering why the offer hasn't come if college x is so interested. You have every right to ask the HS/ club coach a lot of questions about timing, interest, where your son is rated by the college, what more they need to see, scholarship money, etc - the more detailed the answer back to you, the more interested that school is in your son. If your son really wants to go to one of those three schools, then make sure they and the coaches know it - the colleges want to make offers to boys who have a high chance of accepting, and it is to your son's advantage to let the college know his high degree of interest in them too. Being coy doesn't work - be direct if he and you have a strong point of view to cut through the chatter.

Excellent post!

Back of the Cage