I have been around as a Dad of a player in this age group for a four years now. I know a fair amount about the better players, and no, you didn't mention my kids name in your rant earlier. I would argue that for each name you mentioned, we could mention 5 other kids that are as good if not better.

That said, the truth is that there are three levels of players--the one's that really stand out consistently
--the middle (all very good players and most can play in college if they choose)
--the bottom rung (assume there are a few favor kids in this group) but plenty of potential.

The difference between all three levels is really very little. In some cases it is early or late growth, in some cases, LAX skills just take a little longer to kick in but when they do, it is wonderful to watch.

So, the philly freshman showcase allstar team means very little in the grand scheme. Most people that have been through this before know that the picks to allstar games are more rigged than the picks to the event. Have witnessed kids that have the absolute monster performance not make the allstar team and those that came in with reputations but lack of great play get selected.

The one thing the poster was correct about--the names of the kids (not necessarily the ones he selected) are usually known.

I had an older kid go to an event a couple of years back, he got an invite to the allstar game via email the day before...how come, his current college coach wanted to see him and would only be at the event for the allstar game. Happens at every event, so buckle up.

Now, what is completely inappropriate is the original poster's use of names, but what followed was just sad. If your kid wasn't on the list, this guy told you the only way your kid could make the list, was if there was political BS involved. And people actually cared what some schmuck on this board thought.

Believe me or not, been through this before-and showtime and JR and a few others, if the coach wants you, you will know. To make him notice you, send him your tape and a note before the event, don't hold your breathe and hope your kid makes the allstar game because those are long odds...