Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
No. Agree with you. Time and time again many of the studs after 8th grade who are physically mature are not the studs in 12 th grade because some of their peers caught up to them.

I don't know what all you guys are seeing that I am not seeing.

While I agree the kids who went through puberty early sometimes don't continue to excel and other kids can sometimes catch up. But, in my 10 years watching my own kids play this sport and 4 others, the very best athletes tended to be the very best athletes all the way through HS.

I had one in this very best athlete category and two outside but strong players nonetheless.

I really think at this age, people need to be realistic, if your kid is a stud you know it. If your kid is not a stud and you find yourself making excuses--he is a late bloomer, he is playing against hold backs, the coaches don't give him enough opportunity...chances are strong he will not be playing D-1 athletics. But that is ok.

Believe me, having one playing at that level and one that didn't but will likely play club at his school and one now trying to get noticed just like most of your boys, it is not all it is cracked up to be. Now, I would never share that with my young boy, he will try hard and give it his best and do all the work, but we as a family will let the chips fall where they may without worrying about the fairness of the process or whether he plays D-1 lax.

Remember, average lax scholarships are around 25%. Some may get more but that means others will get less. If your kid is also top of his class (and depending on the school) he may also get some academic $. So a package of 50-75% is pretty good by today's standards. Most of you, like me, will not get any need based financial aid so it is academic and/or athletic only.

Worse than all that, which none of your club coaches will tell you, most D-1 programs are not fully funded and very few on the list are giving academic money. Check out the patriot league--Holy Cross, Colgate, Lafayette...not much in the way of lax or academic dollars to be found which is why they are not successful at early recruiting. They have no money so why would your stud commit?

Now if you are wealthy and your kid is a stud and also top of his class, Ivy is the way to go and lax very well may be your ticket in. However, this also has drawbacks and people tend to overestimate their kids intellect. Some of those Ivy profs aren't very keen on student athletes , so make sure your kid can do the work and make extra sure there is academic support...lots of boys don't make it through.

Remember, please remember, D-1 sport is a full time job. the kids time is accounted for from the time they wake up till head hits pillow, it is simply not for everyone. There is life after lax even though most of us have been brainwashed to believe if ours isn't playing D-1, we did something wrong or that the system wasn't fair.

Let the chips fall where they may and don't put so much pressure on your kid or yourself.

As for early recruiting, these guys have been watching lax for years, if they want your kid to commit to their school, and you and your boy like the school and the coach, go ahead, you have nothing to lose. You can always change your mind and use your offer as a chip for the next one. That is the way to play this game...

^^^^ Thoughtful posts like the above certainly make BOTC worth reading (although I love some of the LI insults too).