Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Too many kids that play 2023 that are exceptional are not true 4th graders. Most 4th graders are born in 2005, which is the actual birth year. You are finding more and more kids that are born in 2004, and in some cases 2003. Someone should patrol this and adjust the rules with a governing body. I'm sure USA lacrosse has rules in place and Long Island and most states do not follow. Kids will eventually catch up and I'm sure the 2004 kids were not held back for lax but kids who are older hold a tremendous advantage both physically and mentally. Play your age!!!

My son and his best friend have been playing together for 5 years now. They have been in the same class several years and are both excellent lacrosse players. They tried out for the same travel club and made the team. My son's best fried was deemed not ready (socially or academically) to begin kindergarten with the boys his age and it was recommended that he wait till the following year to begin school. Naturally, his parents followed the advice of the professionals and held him back. On Long Island, travel clubs are grade based, not age. Say what you will about it, but that's just the way is. If you look at every team roster, you'll find a player that was held back. It's very common. It seems that parents only complain when that player is the best on the field. Just because the older boy on your team is mediocre doesn't absolve your team from the fact that they are playing an older child. Keep in mind, these clubs are adhering to the rules of the tournaments. Please, stop complaining about it and exaggerating this child's age to say that he should be in 6th or 7th grade. You seem foolish and petty.
no matter how you slice it, it's not on the up and up. your son's friend had academic issues. fine. don't hide behind adhering to the rules of the tournament. it's not kosher. it's for lack of a better word cheating. no matter how many rules it follows it's ridiculous for kids to play kids almost two years older all because the rules allow it. maybe we should look at the people who make the rules. it has nothing to do with petty. it has to do with what's right.