Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lax has always been a game of speed. It's pretty difficult to play at a high level, regardless of your stick skills and game IQ if you don't have elite speed. But now, programs are starting to favor size as well. Look at the d for Virginia... average height of their def is 6'6".

The best middle school clubs still prioritize speed/height/aggression but they are drawing from a talent pool where everyone has a good stick and excellent game IQ.

In middle school, the physical differences in kids due to varying starts in puberty is so vast that it has to be a primary factor. I know one kid that in 5th grade looked like the next Grant Ament. Kid wasn't big but was super quick with ridiculous dodges and great vision. Fast forward to 8th grade and he hasn't grown an inch. He still has the same speed/stick/IQ but now defenders are even faster and have 50-70 lbs on him. He now looks pedestrian.

I've witnessed this as well. I've also seen more athletic kids not develop their stick skills and now have become liabilities on the field. Have to have both for Elite. Having said that, athleticism masks a ton of deficiencies in the stick still department but it never lasts.