Originally Posted by Anonymous
Had the chance to stop by and watch the MYLA 2029 Championships last night. Great game between LTLC and FCA, with FCA holding on for the 4-3 win. FCA will bump up next year to HOCO elite for sure.

To me It's incredible to see LTLC so strong and I wonder if that will continue with this "rec-club" level at all ages. Also reminded me that having so many teams dilutes the best talent in Balt Co. If you combined best talent from LTLC, FCA, Team 91, Koopers, and Predators you'd be dominant at every age group.

On to summer tournaments we go...........................

Good point for discussion. The great "rec club" rosters don't really dominate in multiple grad years. 2028 Blue Claws, 2028 KP, 2029 LTLC are all fantastic. And I think there will be continued occasional greatness for this model as more of them keep together into HS years....which is a new thing. Rec clubs used to all disband after 8th grade. No more (it seems). And let's not forget that the rec clubs cost half as much as Crabs, FCA, Predators etc. Very much a "your mileage may vary" but it's not a bad product 1 out of 3 years.

As for the "too many teams" argument, I dunno. That assumes a singular outcome: that every kid who could possibly make an elite roster, will be on an elite roster. And that everyone else should be playing A-ball or rec. In areas like central PA and southern VA this is the case but there's 1/10 the # of players.

It's not like each of these AA and AAA teams only have 3 kids who can throw and catch. And it's not like the starters of all of those teams need to - or should - be playing on a Towson all star elite team. But you have to admit that FCA, Team MD, and Predators (to name a few) put good 2029 products on the field this year. Elite? No, but solid in all 3 cases.