I agree with most of what you said here. But don’t know about that last statement. I’ve found that the kids who are holding back at the end of elementary school are talented and doing very well at the age they played until that point. Maybe undersized? Maybe they have the super late summer birthday and feel like they are closer to the level of the age below than the age above. Maybe it’s Becuase they want to destroy at the younger age and stroke their little egos. It could be a lot of things. I personally think a kid who was born in late august is the same as a kid born in early September. No real advantage by holding them back. And I have seen it where there is some expectation that holding back will pay major dividends and it really doesn’t. Eventually things start to even out.

My only personal beef is double holdbacks. Like the kid who has the late birthday holding back to a second level down. Which is 100% happening and usually around the end of middle school. And mostly with private school kids, who’s mommy and daddy want little Johnny to be the best. Becuase he deserves it, and mommy and daddy can afford to make it happen for them.