Originally Posted by Anonymous
And last but not least SB's own Ally Kennedy 6g on 9 shots leading 17-11 with about 4 to go takes the last shot.....Anything? or still only that one kid who is a stat padder...

Yes she is just as embarrassing a stat paddler as Ortega , North and Scane . They are all playing as if the only thing that matters is winning the Tewaaraton and it may cost their team a championship . The best player in the country is a defender and I hope she gets the recognition she deserves .Watch these ball hog players when they score late in a game that has already been decided and their teammates can barely congratulate them . I guarantee that these kids and their parents constantly watch each other’s stat lines and think I need to be a bigger ball hog . Give me the player that would rather win a national championship than a Tewaaraton because non of those kids would .

The best player many years is a defender or a two way midfielder who does her work between the lines. Most coaches recognize this as do people who understand the game. Too many people do not understand what’s important so they only look at goals. That said, to try to diminish the incredible offensive players like North, Scane and Ortega is simply laughable. They are great players. Championship are won with teams that are built from back to front. Go research JMU in 2018 or Maryland in 2019 or any other team... they hold their opponents to fewer goals than their average every time. Syracuse has had some incredible offensive players but they have not won a NC, Florida has had plenty of offensive talent yet no NC... stony Brook has had great offensive talent... Notre Dame has brought in big Li offensive talent.... if you want to win a championship you need an exceptional goalie, an athletic defense and midfielders who can control the middle of the field.
Having a prolific scorer would be icing on the cake but it will never work the other way. You can have the best offensive player in the game but without the grinders the team will not win a championship.

Nobody has said they are not great players but if you watch each of them this year it’s obvious that a lot of what they are doing is about them getting numbers and not about making their team better . There is essentially no reason they should be scoring late in a game that has already been decided other than padding their stats . While I hope a defender gets the Tewaaraton and your post sounds nice I disagree that the best player many years is a defender or even a two way middy. Say what you want but college coaches many times take their most skilled players and put them at attack where they will never come off the field . Defense is more about team work than individual play .